Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Escaping The Midwest To My Favorite Cities

Being a poor college student, and an artist no less, I am broke. Escaping the harsh Midwestern Winter is no easy task. Spring break is coming up, and I wanted to share with you the places that I enjoy to escape the monotony of the Midwest and why I love them so much. Don't get me wrong , the Midwest has some great cities, but sometimes its nice to break away from the mold from which you were made, and escape your home, even if its just for a couple days. I love to travel, even if its just to another city for an hour in Ohio, nothing makes me happier than to just pack up and experience the beauty and possibilities that come with exploring a new place.

#1. San Francisco

I find San Francisco to be the most beautiful city that I have ever visited. Its such a wonderful break for tired Midwestern eyes. Quite frankly, I am in love with California, and have traveled to about ten different cities there, but I find this one to be the most inspiring. San Francisco has the edge that I am looking for. Laid back, great art scene, beautiful scenery, diversity, and it rains there (i love the rain too, and some parts of SO Cal don't see too much of it)...I find it to just be a great place to get away. San Francisco is so eclectic. I might be heading there in two weeks for Spring Break! I was just there in September. My friend and I drove up the California coast from San Diego, slept in the car on the first night at the old army base in a parking lot and woke up to the golden gate bridge hanging over our heads. It was so great, we spent the rest of the week walking the city and sleeping in a hostel. One of the greatest vacations of my life.

#2. New York City



I love the excitement of a large city, and talk about diversity, New York has it all. If you love to feel alive, and experience a city that literally never sleeps, you must visit. I would say that New York is a city that everyone should try (if it is possible) to visit at least once in their lifetime. Just a really incredible place to experience and so rich in history. Great museums, great everything.

#3. Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach, home of Bike Week, many Mtv's Spring Break (used to be), and one of the few public beaches that you can drive your car on. Now for all of you environmentalists, I know driving a car on the beach isn't the most environmentally friendly thing, but this beach is actually pretty clean and well patrolled. Daytona is just a relaxing place to get away. I think I have been here about 5 times. Some of my family resides here. Its not a huge city, and it doesn't have ton's of exciting things to do, which makes it a great place to just relax.



If you don't want to travel a huge distance to escape your home town/wherever you are in the Midwest, try visiting some interesting Midwestern cities. Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati to name a few are all great places to see located right here in the Midwest.

All images from this post are from http://www.sxc.hu/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home