Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dried Up - Rural Development


This summer, as part of one of my seemingly ridiculous work tasks, I had to meander around town looking for photographs of dry crops. At the time it seemed completely meaningless and I thought, what a “great story” for people to read in the newspaper...however after further thoughts, I realized how much of an integral part American farms, and more importantly Midwestern farms are to our countries economic welfare. This summer was a very bad growing season. Though I grow bored at times of driving through miles and miles of corn, soy beans, wheat, pumpkin patches, and apple orchards, I have at least finally found appreciate for them after 20 years of living amidst them. I have always felt that the Midwest, especially being a product of small town Ohio, is dried up. Sure, our land has a lot to offer, and there are great people here with old town family values, but as far as development, It seems to be in a recession (and many would argue that is in conjunction with the rest of the country, and I'm not disagreeing with that), but as far as rural development, I think the recession started long before now. Urbanization and growth has definitely taken place within the larger cities, but it seems like the smaller ones are getting left behind, becoming ghosts of once good things, and that makes me sad. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe the old town family values aren't enough to spark change in the rural Midwest. What do the bigger cities have that the smaller one's don't? Both are filled with intelligent people with great ideas for change and improvement, is it lack of money or lack if initiative, or both? Until next time. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home