Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chicken Farming

The Midwest is known for it's farming and livestock operations. Cattle, llamas, chickens, turkeys, pigs, sheep, goats, horses...you name it, and the Midwest probably has it. Lately I have been fascinated with the Chicken farming process. Just to clear this out of the air, I am not a PETA activist nor am I a vegetarian. However, while investigating farming systems for one of my class projects, I learned a lot about how some of these farms (especially large slaughter houses)operate. Later today I will be including a post that will feature my latest piece that I finished in December 2007. It features a line of Chicken Prosthetics that I designed that are meant to be taken as a satirical way to fix many of the common problems that chicken farms specifically are facing because of the evolution and sometimes the lack of technology. Many of these birds lose their wings, have their beaks cut, and ultimately die because of the need for the products that they produce . Rather than explain how these farms operate, I am posting a great video that I found on You Tube that does these everyday farms justice. I am also posting one of my favorite videos from Wonder Showzen (if you haven't seen it, it is pretty funny, on MTV2) about the chicken dinner factory. This one is not meant to be taken seriously, though I do find it humorous that the show took time to visit the place where many of our dinners come from.


45 Days in the Life of a Broiler Chicken








Wonder Showzen- The Chicken Dinner Factory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home